Windows 7 'not genuine' message after upgrading HD

essexg 18:21 12 Nov 10

I've upgrade my HDD from 250GB to a 1TB. The new disk is a Western Digital one and I downloaded the WD version of Acronis True Image which I used to close the old drive to the new.

Now when I start windows I get the message "This copy of Windows is not genuine.

How to I resolve this.

961 18:26 12 Nov 10

Was your copy of windows a full retail copy or an OEM copy?

If OEM it may well not work with a new hard disk

GaT7 18:48 12 Nov 10

What happens if you connect only the new 1Tb drive? If it works, then delete the Win7 install on the 250Gb drive the next time you boot into Windows, then reboot.

If no joy, a few possible solutions to work through at click here.

If this issue proves unsolvable over here, I'd recommend posting this at the MS forums in this relevant subforum click here.

By only upgrading the hard disk, you're well within the licence limitations with respect to OEM/retail versions & upgrades. It may have been a different story though if you changed motherboards instead & was using an OEM version. G

rdave13 18:52 12 Nov 10

Try contacting Microsoft during office hours; click here
From another thread, don't press any keys automatically requested but just wait until you can speak to a person. Have your key ready and explain that you have cloned the hard drive to a bigger one.

lotvic 20:27 12 Nov 10

If you put the old drive back in and boot from that do you still get the Not Genuine message?

woodchip 20:32 12 Nov 10

I think this is a Factory PC with W7 pre-Loaded, changing the size of the drive as been picked up by W7 as a Different PC. Ring Microsoft and Explain what you have done. it should not be a Problem

woodchip 20:34 12 Nov 10

Have you Upgraded any other Hardware on this PC?

essexg 21:40 12 Nov 10

The PC was upgraded from Vista to Win 7, so I have a retail copy with the disks.

rdave13 21:48 12 Nov 10

Even more reason to contact Microsoft. Someone could have stolen the key and is using it now. Retail Windows 7 comes with two DVDs, 32 and 64 bit. If it was an 'upgrade' disc then I also recommend to contact Microsoft.
Use the phone number in my link and just wait. Ignore all the auto responses and a person will eventually reply.

lotvic 22:02 12 Nov 10

This might be what you have to do click here Windows 7 - New HDD "Windows not Genuine"

"...Above the Change Product Key line was another line to Activate. I clicked on that link and saw a Windows Not Genuine message with a link to follow to resolve the problem. This took me to a link to Install the Windows Validation Tool. After I did that and let it validate, the warnings went away. I still had the black desktop, but that was a simple fix by re-installing the desktop wallpaper."

rdave13 22:35 12 Nov 10

In this case I disagree. Contacting the producer of the software, legally bought, is the only way.
That will make the pirated key copy defunct.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…