Windows 7 - intermittent IE8 connection problem

Pineman100 18:48 15 Feb 10

A few days ago I installed Windows 7 and IE8. Everything is working very satisfactorily, expect for an intermittent problem in connecting to certain websites.

I can find no pattern to the problem, other than the fact that it always occurs when I'm connecting via a link, rather than typing the URL into the address bar. I click the link, and IE reports "Connecting..." with a blank page. And it just sits there, doing nothing else.

Today, two events occurred:-

Speedbit Video Accelerator popped up a flag to tell me that an update was available. I clicked the Download & Install link, and got the above symptom - IE8 just sat there with a blank page, saying "Connecting..."

I also tried to install Google Earth. I allowed IE8 to download the file, and chose to Run it. Download took a few seconds, and I was then asked to click Run again, which I did. I gave permission to UAC, and the installer then reported "Connecting to the internet" (with a walking blue bar). And there it sat. I left it for over ten minutes, but nothing else happened. It just continued to try and connect to the internet.

Can anyone help solve this problem, please?

I repeated the process with my Norton Internet Security firewall suspended. Same result.

birdface 20:29 15 Feb 10

Try the add ons and make sure Flash and Java are enabled providing that you use them.
Or try tools.Internet Options .Advanced.and press reset.That resets Internet Explorer to its original state.
you will then have to go into add-ons and enable everything again.
Also if you use spywareblaster go back in there and make sure everything is enabled.
Maybe download Firefox and use that until you get I/E fixed.
Not sure if Norton has changed but a few years back it was a waste of time switching the Firewall off you either had to check the Firewall was Ok or remove Norton completely.

Pineman100 18:33 16 Feb 10

Many thanks for your suggestions.

I checked on Flash and Java - I had Flash enabled, but no Java. So I downloaded and installed it. No success! I still have the same problem.

I don't have spywareblaster. Norton has changed dramatically in the last couple of years, so I hope that suspending its firewall would have been effective. However, as I said above, it didn't do me any good.

I haven't yet reset IE8, because I want to give this thread a while to see whether anyone comes up with any alternative suggestions (so I don't lose my favoruites and have to re-enable add-ons) but if nothing else is suggested I'll try that.

Thanks again for your response.

gemdogie 19:20 16 Feb 10

I installed windows 7 with IE 8. Had problems with IE 8 with the hyperlinks not working. Could get no help from anywhere to correct the problem. So I have downloaded Firefox and made it the default browser. Been using it for over a month now with no problems,it is a great browser. If you decide to do this make sure you make it the default browser and your problems will be solved.

birdface 19:52 16 Feb 10

Reset should not interfere with you favorites.I have done a few resets and my favorites were still there after doing it.

birdface 19:59 16 Feb 10

Never thought.Try Command prompt and type in ipconfig /flushdns small gap between the ipconfig and the forward slash or it will not work.Then press enter.it should tell you DNS cache has been flushed if so reboot and see if it works any better.
maybe download and update malwarebytes free and then run it to see if it finds any problems.

Pineman100 08:32 17 Feb 10

Whahaaay! Flushing the DNS cache worked!

I had only the haziest of understanding as to what the DNS and a DNS server are, so I poked about with Google a bit, and came across a very clear and interesting tutorial. I imagine you know all about the topic, but if you want to read the tutorial click here.

Thank you so much for sticking with me through this problem, and of course for solving it!

I'm very grateful.

gemdogie - thanks for your recommendation of Firefox. I've heard many people recommend it, so even though this problem is solved, I think I'll download it as a standby browser anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…