Windows 7 Home Premium to Professional

dms_05 09:10 06 Jul 10

I inadvertently used my W7 HP DVD to install W7 on my laptop (I'd already used it on another machine) whereas I should have used the W7 Professional Upgrade DVD that I'd bought for the purpose. I rather hoped I could solve the problem by entering the valid Authorisation Key for the Professional edition but it won't accept it. As I also installed lots of other software and data (I didn't immediately authorise W7) I'd like to be able to go from Unauthorised W7 HP to Professional via the upgrade DVD. Can this be done?

sherwoodsolns 09:52 06 Jul 10

If you installed Windows seven home premium then a professional version key will not work.

run the upgrade DVD (pro version) within windows and do an upgrade from premium. It should upgrade without removal of files/data/prgrams and add the extras that come with Pro.

to be honest there isn't much difference from premium to Pro to make it worth upgrading.

dms_05 10:05 06 Jul 10

Many thanks - I'll give that a try!

dms_05 17:35 06 Jul 10

Tried it and the Professional Upgrade DVD refused to run on an non-activated copy of Home Premium. The Professional Upgrade has a very long list of things it won't upgrade from - basically you need to have a fully functioning copy of W7 before you can upgrade it to another, higher, version of the software. Or at least that is all it will allow me to do - so I'll reinstall Vista and see if I can then upgrade to W7 Professional. Or maybe I should just switch to Linux and forget Microsoft forever - they certainly don't make life easy for legitimate (if careless) users of their expensive software.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…