Windows 7 hangs after welcome screen

wednesday 13 09:35 09 Oct 10

Hi,
Yesterday I shut down my computer after doing the shopping online (nothing installed or anything like that), and when I came to turn it on after, it got past the welcome screen but nothing appeared to load after and I was stuck with the cursor and a black screen.
I have tried safe mode, which just gives me the same, but managed to get into safe mode with command prompt, but couldnt run a chkdsk or find how to run system restore. I also managed to get task manager open this way, and it doesnt appear to be opening explorer.
I considered something inside might have come loose, but I have ubuntu installed on a seperate partition, and it is running perfectly fine.
Would I be able to restore from the windows 7 disk, or have to re-install, or is it possible to fix through ubuntu or something?

birdface 09:39 09 Oct 10

TaskManager.Click on File.New task and add explorer.exe only if it is not in taskmanager.

wednesday 13 09:57 09 Oct 10

It gave me a blue screen error and reset my computer. ANything else i could attempt through task manager or command prompt, like a system restore?

birdface 09:59 09 Oct 10

Ignore last.Explorer is running sorry misread it.

birdface 10:05 09 Oct 10

This for XP maybe see if you can get the same for W/7

click here

wednesday 13 12:03 09 Oct 10

I ran windows in safe mode command prompt, and found the .exe in task manager, and it made me run chkdsk at start up, so it restarted windows and ran it on boot.

It turned out windows didnt shut down properly and a load of files got corrupt. :s

All working now, thanks for you help :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…