Windows 7 fresh install from disc

rclarke1988 00:21 04 Oct 14

Hi

I am looking to do a fresh install of Windows 7 on my Dell Inspiron 546 PC. I originally bought it in September 2009 and originally came installed with Vista, but came with a free upgrade to Windows 7. I received an upgrade CD a few weeks later and have been running windows 7 ever since.

I can't find the upgrade disc but have download an official Windows 7 ISO from Microsoft and created a bootable disc. My question is will I be able to use that for a fresh install of Windows 7 with my serial number despite the fact it was originally installed via an upgrade disc? Trying to find out before I commit to it. Thanks!

rclarke1988 08:46 04 Oct 14

My computer is working fine, just getting s bit slow and think its time to do a fresh install after 5 years to clear it up. I have done it successfully in the past by making my windows xp boot CD on my old computer.

So I still have the key code and all the necessary drivers etc. Think the only problem will come (if any) with it originally being an updrade version.

lotvic 16:29 04 Oct 14

It's a Dell OEM pre-activated Vista with a Dell OEM upgrade to W7.

You will need to do a bit of pre-work with the ARP (activation backup and recovery program to backup the OEM system locked preinstallation files)

Have a careful study of the info and guides on the unofficial dellwindowsreinstallationguide website ClickHere

rclarke1988 18:45 04 Oct 14

Thanks guys, I'll have a study through the guides on that link. Going to open up the case and clean inside too. I use c cleaner as well. I'm considering installing a solid state drive as the boot drive too so that should speed things up.

lotvic 19:36 04 Oct 14

"solid state drive as the boot drive"

hmm - that's not as straightforward as one would wish...

lotvic 19:50 04 Oct 14

If you want a useful link to go more in depth with the DELL OEM slp ARP install message me (click on the green envelope next to my name).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009