Windows 7 and Dual Boot Installing

douglas1973 15:47 21 Oct 09

I have a dual boot system: on the 250 GB default drive (D) I am running Windows Vista Home Premium. On the 150GB second drive (C) I am running Windows XP. I use this to run Quicken 2004 which will not run in Vista. Quicken cannot be upgraded because the manufacturers (Intuit) shamefully left the U.K. some years ago.
I have purchased Windows 7 Professional which I intend clean installing on the D drive and running all my programs on it including Quicken which, I believe, can run Quicken in a Virtual Windows XP set up mode. On the C drive I intend clean installing Windows Vista or possibly just installing all my programs on it.
My only (?) concern is how to go about doing the above as I have a feeling that it has to be done in a specific order. Can anyone provide me with advice on this?
P.S. I have two external drives (320GB and 1 TB)

douglas1973 14:52 23 Nov 09

Since I have not had a reply to my enquiry and a month has passed I think I better forget about this.

avesnes1 21:28 23 Nov 09

Have you tried a search of the Windows 7 forum?

Pine Man 08:57 24 Nov 09

I have a boot manager which allows me to select the drive I want to boot from at startup. Several BMs can be downloaded free on the internet and some BIOSs have them as standard as is my case by pressing the F8 key.

I have two internal hard drives, both SATA, and I disconnected the SATA 2 HD then installed W7 on the only remaining SATA 1 HD as I wanted W7 to be the default o/s. I next disconnected SATA 1 and reconnected SATA 2 and installed Vista on it then reconnected SATA 1.

Now I have two operating systems on separate drives that are not reliant on each other. W7 boots by default but if I want Vista I use the boot manager at start up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…