Windows 7 does it need Acronis?

compumac 19:32 25 Jul 10

I am looking at my existing software with a view to possibly moving from XP to Win 7. Currently I use Acronis 2010 for creating backup images, but I have read somewhere that Win 7 has adequate imaging built in. Any comments on this aspect?

VoG II 19:34 25 Jul 10

If it does I'd love to hear about it since I've installed Norton Ghost 15.

woodchip 19:34 25 Jul 10

yes to make a image while its running okay, Win 7 is no better or worse than any other OS, it can still break

woodchip 19:35 25 Jul 10

yes to make a image while its running okay, Win 7 is no better or worse than any other OS, it can still break. PS what you have is all you need. run it from the CD to Create Images.

compumac 19:49 25 Jul 10

Vog
link to Win 7 imaging click here

VoG II 20:05 25 Jul 10

Thank you for that of which I was blissfully unaware.

That seems to require manual intervention. With Norton Ghost (and I presume Acronis) you can program it to do this at specified intervals. I have NG set to backup Documents once a day and make a system image every week (this all goes to an external drive). If I need to go back I can simply insert the NG CD, reboot and follow the prompts. I presume one would do similar with the Windows 7 backup CD. I have yet to use this in anger (newe PC purchased in May) but noce to know it there.

compumac 21:04 25 Jul 10

VoG
I knew something Vog did not. For me that is something. Just out of interest I use Acronis 2010 to create a system image every week and data is backed up using NonStop which is part of Acronis 2010 and this backs up selected data, as it states - every five minutes. I found that this works well and has obviated the need for synchronised (AllWay Sync) software previously used.

john bunyan 21:21 25 Jul 10

As I have both a second HD and an external one, I regularly make an ATI image on the external one and a clone on the slave drive. I know some will say this is OTT but I have found a clone very easy to restore things. (I do scan thoroughly and defrag before making one.) As an even further back up I Regularly make a Synchronised copy of all my data in "My Documents" to the extenal HD.

compumac 21:43 25 Jul 10

john bunyan
Not OTT. I also have a second internal hard disc
that did sync my data but now Acronis Nonstop syncs to external drive. Plus another PC with an external drive that extracts/syncs with my data on first PC. OK OTT but I feel quite happy with that.

Zeppelyn 22:06 25 Jul 10

Windows 7 Backup and Restore works perfectly well and can be scheduled too. As a free alternative I find Todo Backup far easier to manage than Acronis.

KremmenUK 07:05 26 Jul 10

Yep - Win 7 imaging and backup can be scheduled in the same way as Ghost/TrueImage.

The only snag with the inbuilt tool is that it's painfully slow and you can only image the C:\ drive. You can 'backup' all the other partitions (if you have any).

I'm using the Win7 C:\ Image facility only and using Synctoy and SyncBack for my 'data'.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…