Windows 7 Compatibility

SURVEY 13:42 04 Aug 10

A friend has just ordered a new Dell laptop running Windows 7. She has asked me to set the laptop up for her.
I wish to install a free AV program and am happy with Avast - is this OK with Windows 7? Alternatively AVG Free?
What about a firewall; does Windows 7 come with a MS one that covers incoming & outgoing and if so is it as good as say Zonealarm (assuming ZA is compatible with Windows 7).
Spyware - Spybot or Adaware or again is there adequate Windows MS software in the OS?
Any other known compatibility issue with Windows 7 or anything else I ought to be aware of during setup?

john bunyan 14:00 04 Aug 10

Can only say what I use for W7 64bit.:
Firewall: PCTools (ZA did have some problems with AVG)
Anti Virus: I use Avira, but am sure Avast is good. Some prefer MS Security Essentials.
Anti Malware: Superantispyware and Malawarebytes, (and Spywareblaster to try to prevent stuff.) I find that SAS fids stuff that MAB sometimes does not.All the above are free.

rawprawn 14:12 04 Aug 10

Avast is OK with Windows 7
You don't need an other Firewall
Anti Malware: Superantispyware

rawprawn 14:18 04 Aug 10

A good alternative to Avast (Which also has anti malware) is Microsoft Security Essentials
click here

SURVEY 14:29 04 Aug 10

Thanks everyone. I will probably put on Avast (I am aware of the problems between AVG and Zonealarm as I had experienced them myself and that made me ditch AVG in favour of Avast) and no other firewall. As regards spyware my friend is conversant with Spybot and Adaware so does anyone kinow if these are OK with Windows 7. Alternatively I will look at MS Security Essentials as rawprawn suggests - seems a good solution.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…