Windows 7 compatibility..

Rosalie86 12:42 04 Feb 10

Hello,
I just got myself a new pc with Windows 7 on it. So I can use my software for my printer etc, I need to use the compatibility mode... I know about the '.exe file, Properties, right click, select xp etc' But when right clicking on the .exe file is this straight of the disc in the rom drive or does the program have to be already on the system?????

Many thanks

JohnWilliams 14:08 04 Feb 10

Once it's installed on your system, right click on the program icon and choose the compatability mode there. You might not have to, see if it works before you do that.

Rosalie86 14:29 04 Feb 10

Thanks for your reply, I'll try this when I get home tonight... So the software will install, but not run...

JohnWilliams 15:16 04 Feb 10

It will install.
It should run, you'll just have to try it.
If not, do the compatability mode thing.

Fingees 17:25 04 Feb 10

You may find if you just plug in your printer, w& may find drivers for it and install automatically .

Mine were found by W7 on the internet,and installed without me doing anything.

Rosalie86 21:44 04 Feb 10

I'm not having much luck!!! I've tried my printer software and it won't even install, so I could do the compatable thing!!! and my nero music program won't install neither... ;-((

Help please
Regards

chub_tor 21:51 04 Feb 10

If you tell us the make and model of the printer we might be able to tell you where you can download Windows7 drivers. Similarly with the Nero Music Programme, which version are you trying to install?

Rosalie86 22:00 04 Feb 10

I really wish I hadn't got a new machine!!!
HP Photosmart 7660
Nero 6 full version

Regards

ashdav 22:05 04 Feb 10

Re Nero I've given up on this since Vista as I found it to be very flaky (unreliable).
I've used Ashampoo since with no problems and it's free click here and follow the instructions!
Need details of your printer in order to give any further advice.
As a general rule I've found that right click on the exe. file and troubleshoot compatability and select the manual selection (the lower option) then select the operating system that the software was designed for will usually work.
When the program is installed go to Start/all programs, select the program, right click and do the compatability option AGAIN.
As an example see my post re the Epson 200/300 printer click here. It's the last post.

ashdav 22:12 04 Feb 10

You posted ahead of me.
Nero 6 won't work on Vista or Win7.
That's why I moved away from it.
Re the printer, HP only do drivers for this up to XP as it is quite old.
Suggest you follow my example as per the Epson R200/300 above.

ashdav 22:16 04 Feb 10

By the way if you get a window popping up after you try to install software that "says this software did not install correctly" then select the "install with recommended settings" option or something similar.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…