Windows 7 Beta

pk46 16:07 15 Jan 09

Thought i would give it a go download didn't take to long but the install over one hour and a half
my computer is a year old came with Vista 3GB of Ram on boot up computer hangs when i got it to boot internet Explorer not responding in other words total crap no email you have to download the software it will take many beta's to sort this one.
AND I COULDN'T UNISTALL IT had to use the recovery disk.
BE WARNED

Fingees 16:14 15 Jan 09

I downloaded and installed it over Vista home premium.

No problem.

A few drivers were updated, and one for my old wireless network connector wouldn't work.

I found it to be much faster in all respects than Vista, and my initial thoughts are favorable.

I will have to really try it in earnest over the next couple of weeks, but so far, I am impressed.

kjrider 16:39 15 Jan 09

Slow to download and install, but seems more or less OK.

I installed it on a spare HD, as I have a HD caddy which just slots into my PC, so no silly probs about uninstalling or having to use recovery disks.

I think that I like it more than Vista - you can choose the gadgets you want to have on the desktop, and the files systems is more towards the 'classic style.'

Windows explorer has crashed a couple of times, and it would not recognise my USB plug in camera card reader.

I am using W7 now.

KJR

pk46 18:41 15 Jan 09

Interesting,perhaps i'm doing somthing wrong on install.

MAJ 18:46 15 Jan 09

Yes it can be slow to download although it should download in less than an hour (8meg connection), the servers were/are busy.

If you're using Vista, nothing could be easier than to create a 20GB partition using Vista's own tool and install Windows 7 there, it has it's own boot loader, and dual-boot Vista and 7, no need to wipe anything.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant