Windows 7 backup to HDD stalls

Terrygee 12:18 PM 26 Oct 11

My PC backs up to an Iomega Desktop Hard Drive. The backup now grinds to a halt when copying files to the drive. I have tried several times but it always stops at 12% completion. It appears to be running, but does not get past 12%. Any suggestions?

johndrew 14:35 PM 26 Oct 11

You are not alone in this apparently. Microsoft have a suggestion which may work, failing that maybe this will give you a clue.

Other than the above I can only suggest you Google the problem and search for an answer.

northumbria61 14:55 PM 26 Oct 11

More suggestions here enter link description here What capacity is the Iomega? Microsoft have had problems in the past with backups to large hdd's that is the reason I ask. I seem to remember that they had a fix for it but I can't find that information for you at the moment.

northumbria61 15:03 PM 26 Oct 11

If you can't overcome this problem why not give Acronis True Image a try as suggested by cocteau48 in his post today enter link description here

gengiscant 15:28 PM 26 Oct 11

Or why not try a free alternative.

robin_x 18:53 PM 26 Oct 11

Backup and imaging problems can also be caused by bad sectors.

I have seen this with Easeus Todo Backup and Paragon Backup and Recovery Free and a recent report of it with Acronis.

I don't know why these all seem to have problems reporting it instead of being mysterious.

If you have no luck with above suggestions, check for errors on your drives.

Right click/Properties/Tools/Check for errors.

Or run chkdsk c: /r and for each drive.

Takes some time.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus launch live: What to expect from Apple's 9 September 2015…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Swedish schoolkids use Minecraft to redesign Stockholm city centre

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites