Windows 7 backup to external hard drive issue

niqbasil 17:28 21 Jan 15

I set my laptop to backup my system onto my SeaGate GoFlex external hard drive some time ago, and have only backed it up once since then. I also have it set to manually backup, as I only wanted it to do it when the drive is connected to the computer. I went to go back up today, and Windows 7 will not let me. First backup said that the drive was labeled as E and when I plugged it in, it recognized it as drive D. So, I set it to drive E through disc management. It is recognized as E and healthy in the computer management section, but the backup screen still says it is not connected and the "back up now" button is grayed out so I cannot click it. I do not know what to do from here....and I need to back up as my computer has been acting strangely (not responding, shutting down, etc.) for a few days and I am afraid a crash is imminent. Please help....I have already lost everything a few years back and am trying desperately to not have it happen again. Thanks.

niqbasil 17:43 21 Jan 15

So it did let me create a system image to the external....is this the same as a backup? If my computer crashes, can I restore all my docs and pics from this? I am not that saavy when it comes to these things....sorry! TIA

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:03 21 Jan 15

yes you should be able to restore the image or even explore the image and copy the documents out of it as required.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now