Windows 7 apparently lockingup

Wirksrail 13:49 15 Oct 10

Am running Windows 7 (HP) with Windows Live Mail and a wireless mouse.
I can click on up to 3 icons on the desktop and get into the relevant programs/files. After that the cursor follows the mouse but it cannot open any files. It will only operate the icons on the bottom LH corner of the screen (including Start). It will not operate any icons on the desktop. The only course open to me is to switch off, then switch on - then the whole process restarts.

There is one other item which may be linked. At the botttom RH corner of the screen, by the time/calendar, I have noticed an icon labelled Show Desktop, but clicking on this appears to have no effect.

Any help would be appreciated.
Wirksrail

northumbria61 14:04 15 Oct 10

You may need to look at your mouse settings in Control Panel.

The icon "Show Desktop" do the following - right click on your Taskbar - then Toolbars - from the drop down list put a tick next to "Desktop" - you will then have added "Desktop" to your Taskbar - clicking on the "Chevrons" next to Desktop will bring up a useful list.

northumbria61 14:18 15 Oct 10

Wirksrail - take a look here click here quite a bit of reading but there may be something to help.

northumbria61 14:20 15 Oct 10

You could also try updating your mouse driver to see if that helps.

Wirksrail 17:19 15 Oct 10

Northumbria61

Thanks for your replies which I shall look into.

One additional item of interest - although I can't access files via desktop icons I CAN access them by way of the Start menu. Very strange! Does this give any clues?

birdface 17:36 15 Oct 10

maybe remove some of the Icons on the desktop and go into all programs right click what you are looking for and put a new shortcut on the desktop see if that works.

Wirksrail 12:02 16 Oct 10

Buteman/Northumbria61

Thank you both for your suggestions. I find I can now access my files by using the list of files/folders obtained by clicking on the chevrons next to Desktop on the Taskbar. This will do for now. Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…