Windows 7 64-bit. Will 32-bit software work?

Pineman100 16:25 02 Aug 10

A friend is considering buying a new computer that is preloaded with W7 64-bit.

I believe there's a risk that her printer driver software won't work, but in general will most 32-bit software run OK under 64-bit?

In particular, is her Virgin adsl router going to work?

robin_x 16:38 02 Aug 10

My Lex X-74 latest driver was XP (no Vista).

So I bought a new PIXMA MP250 from Argos for £40.
Wish I had gone wireless later for an extra tenner.

My BT Voyager 105 Modem had no drivers available either. AOL sent me a free w'less/modem/router (Thomson 585) when I told them my situation.

That gets a bit of a slagging online, but mine has worked OK.

robin_x 16:39 02 Aug 10

Everything else works on Properties/Compatibility mode except Nero 5(?). Plenty of freeware available to replace that.

Pineman100 17:00 03 Aug 10

Thanks for that, Robin. My friend isn't too worried if she has to replace her fairly elderly printer. And, based on your experience, I imagine she can twist Virgin's arm for a new router, if necessary (or migrate to s different ISP).

gazzaho 02:02 04 Aug 10

I switched from 32 to 64-bit when I migrated to Windows 7 with no real problems relating to software, one or two old pieces of software may not work with 64-bit, although if the software your friend uses is compatable with Vista I'm guessing it'll work with Windows 7.

I myself had little trouble switching, here's a link for Windows 7 Compatibility Center, she could try this for software/hardware compatibility (click here)

smithgood9 09:15 04 Aug 10

click here Converter is an all-in-one video tool. It is not only a converter, but also an editor. With this video converter, you can firstly trim, crop, add watermark and effect, replace the original file' audio, flip original video vertically and horizontally, and then convert it to other formats for playback on iPod, iPhone, PSP, Xbox, Zune, Creative Zen, cell phones and so on.Moreover, the output videos can also be imported to iMovie, Final Cut Pro for further editing; be inserted to PPT for presentation; or even be uploaded to YouTube for sharing.

smithgood9 09:15 04 Aug 10

click here Converter is an all-in-one video tool. It is not only a converter, but also an editor. With this video converter, you can firstly trim, crop, add watermark and effect, replace the original file' audio, flip original video vertically and horizontally, and then convert it to other formats for playback on iPod, iPhone, PSP, Xbox, Zune, Creative Zen, cell phones and so on.Moreover, the output videos can also be imported to iMovie, Final Cut Pro for further editing; be inserted to PPT for presentation; or even be uploaded to YouTube for sharing.

Pineman100 11:10 04 Aug 10

Thanks very much for your responses.

gazzaho - I have sent your link to my friend, so that she can check out the compatibility of hardware and software that she might migrate to W7 64-bit.

smithgood9 - thanks for the suggestion but she doesn't use her computer for video editing.

robin_x 13:09 04 Aug 10

See these for all sorts of software

click here

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017