Windows 7 64 BIT?

Input Overload 19:12 PM 20 Dec 11

I'm thinking of finally going 64Bit, I shied away from this as there seemed to be a lack of drivers & software a year or ago but as that's all changed & 64Bit drivers are available for this reasonably recent DELL desk PC.

My question is - Will my Win7 serial code which was for the 32 Bit version work with 64?

I would assume the answer is no...

john bunyan 19:23 PM 20 Dec 11

Have a read here. I would telephone Microsoft; I think you have to uninstall then reistall, but check with them.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows7-windowsinstall/question-about-windows-7-installation-license/cde95d7f-6908-48d3-b80e-eff88d29e855

Input Overload 20:58 PM 20 Dec 11

Thanks for that! I assumed it would be a clean reinstall - I'm not that bothered about waiting for windows 8 & going 64Bit as I'm really pleased with 7. I'll give MS a ring & see what they say, in the past they have always been very helpful.

lotvic 21:41 PM 20 Dec 11

"Will my Win7 serial code which was for the 32 Bit version work with 64?"

Yes

and if you want a copy with SP1 already on d/load the official .iso and burn to DVD from ClickHere scroll down to the English (USA) version and get the one with SP1 U (media refresh). You use your own Product Key to install.

morddwyd 08:02 AM 21 Dec 11

Just as an aside, I think you are worrying unnecessarily about drivers.

I went from XP 32 straight to Win 7 64 as soon as the RC was available.

Apart from the odd "Do you want Windows to search for a suitable driver?", and not too many even of those, I've had no problems.

sharpamat 08:18 AM 21 Dec 11

If your OS was preloaded with your purchase from Dell, it is an OEM version so would suggest you check with Dell

If it was a full version follow lotvic post which should accept the serial number you already have

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? Windows 10 is now available, so do you have to upgrade? 8 reasons…

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Digital visionaries discuss Designing the Future

How to run Windows 10 on Mac: How to run Windows 10 using Boot Camp or VirtualBox to install…