windows 7

Debzz 18:55 11 Nov 09

hi can anyone tell me if i can put this laptop on windows 7 , its a hp compaq nx9105, AMD anthlon (tm) xp processor 3000+, 797 MHZ, 768 RAM . its on xp at the moment but would love it to be on windows 7, thanks for any help Debzz

john bunyan 19:16 11 Nov 09

Download the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor from here:
click here

Then run it and it will answer you questions.

Debzz 19:24 11 Nov 09

thanks for your reply , i have done that and this is what it said

Virtualization technology not supported

Your PC does not support hardware assisted virtualization technology.

768 MB of RAM

Your PC memory doesn't meet the 2 GB requirement for running Windows XP Mode on 32-bit Windows 7. When running XP Mode, you might experience poor performance.
i was told an upgrade to windows 7 is compleatly different to a new install i would prefer to do the new install which i was told is better than upgrading cheers Debzz
Extra 15 GB of free space

Your PC meets the minimum requirement of 15 GB extra space for installing and running Windows XP Mode.

john bunyan 22:18 11 Nov 09

I think that the XP mode is only available with Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate.In case you do not like w7, what I would do is to get Acronis True Image 2010 and make a clone or image of your existing XP on an external HD. Then if you dont like it you could revert to XP. On my desktop, luckily I have a second hard drive and for a while I am going to have a dual boot - XP and W7 until I am certain W7 is ok.No boubt others with more knowledge will comment.Not sure if you can get more RAM - Crucial have a website that would tell you.

User-1229748 22:26 11 Nov 09

yes as john bunyan says if you go to crucial they have a tool that will tell you if you can install the needed 2gig in your lappyclick here

northumbria61 12:36 12 Nov 09

RAM is the main thing to consider here if your laptop can support 2GB or more. If so I would definitely go with Windows 7 but as john bunyan has previously said XP Virtualization is only available in Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate. I am personally running Windows 7 Pro (64bit) and I have one program which I have to use XP Mode for (Quicken Finance) which I have had since year 2000 and which I couldn't have used if it hadn't have been for XP Mode.(that would have been a disastrous waste of 10yrs of files) So for me it has been worth it. If your laptop can be upgraded (RAM etc) you should be able to pick up Windows 7 Pro for a fraction more than Premium version and will be worth every penny !

northumbria61 12:43 12 Nov 09

Forgot to say Debzz - It would have to be a clean install from XP to Windows 7 (which as you say you would prefer to do anyway)as upgrade is not an option - but as previously advised by John Bunyan CLONE your current hard drive and that way you can always revert to XP - OR EVEN USE whilst you are setting up/installing Windows 7 on your other drive. That way you wouldn't be "Out of Action" Best of Luck.

Debzz 21:48 14 Nov 09

thanks guys for all your help , x

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…