Windows 7

HondaMan 15:29 29 Jan 09

Before anyone says it, I'm an idiot.

I have installed Win 7 as a clean install and I like it. However, I now want to uninstall it. In anticipation I created a restrore point in XP.

Nothing I do seems to work. How the h/'l do I uninstall Win 7?

BurrWalnut 16:12 29 Jan 09

1. Are you suggesting you created a system restore point in XP then clean installed Win7? If so, you are out of luck.

2. If it was a clean install to a separate partition as a multi-boot, download VistaBootPro from here click here

Run it in Win 7, go to Manage OS Entries > Highlight your Win7 installation > Click X > Confirm the deletion. Restart the computer. The partition that occupied Win7 can now be formatted via Disk Management.

Fingees 16:15 29 Jan 09

You cant actually uninstall windows 7.

You just wipe the disk, and install your previous operating system.

Hence the warning not to install on your normal computer, if you want to keep your stuff.

HondaMan 18:28 29 Jan 09

What I actually did was create a restore point, then install Win 7 on a separate HD. The idea being that if I wanted to go back, my Win XP machine could be restored, if necessary.

When the machine boots, I get a dos screen asking which OS I want to boot to, Win 7 or an earlier version. This seems fairly standard. BUT, nowhere can I find how to change the menu options to take out the initial screen choices.

Fingees 18:35 29 Jan 09

Can you not remove the windows 7 hard drive temporarilly, and try to boot from the remaining disk.

I personally installed 7 on a seperate HD, then replaced my original, after making sure the W7 disk was seen as C.

All ok.

When I want to revert back, i just unplug w7, and the original goes back to being HD c. I did try it to make sure, and it worked.

All the best

HondaMan 10:56 30 Jan 09

Thanks for the tip but it doesn't work. There is obviously something - which I cannot see - on the C: drive which pouts up a menu. Once I have found and edited that, then I can solve my problem. But at the moment, I cannot find the little chap!

Fingees 15:08 30 Jan 09

How about trying to remove the W7 hard drive, then booting from the XP installation CD, and doing a repair?

Just an idea.

BurrWalnut 15:19 30 Jan 09

I told you how to do it with VistaBootPro!

David4637 15:28 30 Jan 09

System Restore does NOT work like you seem to think it should. It restores system files not all the files Windows7 would install.

EXAMPLE : If you create a restore point, then install a new application, then run system restore, you will NOT remove all the files of that new application you just installed. David

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…