Windows 7 32bit & Windows 7 64bit on the same PC

Graphicool1 16:57 29 Dec 13

I have Windows 7 32bit

I have just found out the I can have both 32 & 64 bit on the same PC, as long as the two OS's are on different drives. What they said was, if you have windows 7 64 bit installed on your PC, you can then also install 32 bit.

My question is can I do it the other way round, ie 64 on a 32 bit PC? I can't see why not.

alanrwood 18:53 29 Dec 13

You can dual boot with 32 bit on one partition and 64 bit on the other. Why you would want to do so however is beyond me. Seems a total waste of time and hard drive space together with a problem of getting hardware drivers for bvoth versions. My advice is forget it unless you want an emergency system but then you could have two x 32 bit or two x 64 bit systems.

Graphicool1 19:23 29 Dec 13

alanrwood

My reason for having both 32 and 64 on one machine is that I have software on my Windows 7 32 bit PC that won't work on 64 bit. I'm happy with my 32 bit set up, however, I have laterly become an avid MMORPG gamer. My present set up is fast enough, idealy for that reason I need much more RAM. But a 32 bit system can't/won't use the 4GB RAM I have at present. So getting another 12GB isn't going to help it. But it would help a 64 bit system, I would then hame a dream machine as far as playing MMO's are concerned.

alanrwood 20:14 29 Dec 13

Hi OK I see where you are coming from now. We learn a little every day. That's what I like about these forums, the unexpected turns up regularly.

Just as a matter of interest what progs will not work under 64 bit

Graphicool1 14:46 30 Dec 13

alanrwood

"what progs will not work under 64 bit"

Well now it would be difficult for me to give you a precise or complete answer to that question. I know that many of the programmes that I use have 32 and 64 bit versions. In that respect to date I have naturally been getting the 32 bit versions. Yes, in respect of them, I would be able to change to 64 bit. However the programme that I use most, can't be updated. Because it's nolonger being produced. That and the facts it was made for Windows XP and already struggles in Windows 7, even though I employ the compatibility mode. I have searched far and wide and have been able to get another programm'e anywhere near as good. The programme in question is called 'Microsoft Picture It! 2' Even the latter releases, the last of which (prior to their discontinuing) I have. But it isn't a patch on version 2. To this end I'm not prepared to lose it.

alanrwood 15:18 30 Dec 13

Hi That is an old program indeed. There must be loads of free alternatives out there which will do the job rather than having the dual install problem. Maybe a virtual box might be easier for the times you need to use it and you could then run XP in it. Just a thought.

Secret-Squirrel 15:38 30 Dec 13

G'cool, if you installed Windows 7 Professional 64-bit then you could use "XP Mode" to run your older software titles in a virtual machine.

Graphicool1 15:44 30 Dec 13

alanrwood

"There must be loads of free alternatives out there which will do the job"

Believe me when I tell you, since Microsoft discontinued support for it, then brought out newer versions; which with time were also discontinued I then bought the last one, which is supported by Windows 7 32 bit and even this can't compete with version 2.

Odd really, when new versions of a programme are released they usually have updates or new componants. With Picture It, it was different, instead of adding things they took things away, 'literally'?! That version 2 tops any Art and/or Photo Editing software on the market at any price. I know this because I've tried them all down the years.

My belief is that when it was launched by Microsoft they misjudged just what they had and how good it was. When they realised they ceased supporting it, instead they relaunched a stripped down version of it. Then, with each new launch one of the things they had originally stripped off was added back, but not quite as good as it it originally was.

Version 2 is, on the face of it simplistic and easy to use by any age, it has a very low learning curve. It's only limitations are the users imagination. Up untill now, everytime Photoshop and the like, brings out an update it's been something that 2 can already do, it's yet to be pipped.

alanrwood 11:53 31 Dec 13

I do confess I never actually used it myself so am not acquainted with the program. I think your assessment may be correct as MS has suffered from complains about including programs in Windows that cut across the profits of competitors. Remember the court case a few years ago about Internet Explorer which was on exactly this issue. I personally use Paint Shop Photo Pro so can't recommend any free alternative. Maybe some other contributor can do so as it is clear that MS is not going to do anything about it.

Graphicool1 17:00 31 Dec 13

alanrwood

Initially, you said...

"a problem of getting hardware drivers for both versions."

Both what?

Batch 17:51 31 Dec 13

Both versions of Win7. Win7x32 uses only 32 bit drivers and Win7x64 uses only 64 bit drivers.

If you have some old hardware it may well only have 32 bit drivers.

I would have thought most newer hardware would come with both 32 & 64 bit drivers, but maybe some only have 64 bit.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…