Windows 7 32 bit and 64bit

Allan RISC OS user 16:26 29 Dec 09

I have upgraded my HP Pavilion to Windows 7, 32 bit and I am quite pleased with the results. Spec is 1GB RAM and AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (2.0Ghz),Gforce FX5500 256MB and 2 250GB harddrives.
All my programmes etc., are running okay and the HP PSC 1350 is also fine.

I am now thinking that I would like a new Laptop, which will also be running Windows 7 but the 64bit version. Will I be disappointed and find that the soft/hardware will not run and I will have to buy all it all again? It is all 32bit.

jamesd1981 17:08 29 Dec 09

most of your programmes should work fine although ive found quite a few pieces of my hardware had problems with 64 bit win 7 i have home premium but if you buy the pro version or above you get xp compatability mode which should help.

GaT7 17:10 29 Dec 09

The HP PSC 1350 has Win7 64-bit drivers click here, so it should work fine with your laptop.

What programs & other hardware do you have/use that you think may not work? For a start you can carry out related searches at the Win7 compatibility site click here.

Provide a list of the software that's not present in the above list, & if they are free (or I happen to have them), am willing to try them out on my spare PC running Win7 RC 64-bit.

There's also a helpful list that some PCA members have been compiling: 'Stuff thats works with Windows 7 64 bit' click here, that you can cross-check with.

There may be ways of getting round incompatibility issues - e.g. Compatibility Mode & XP Mode (latter needs Win7 Pro or above, & a CPU capable of hardware virtualisation). G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…