Windows 3.1 bad command

Steven135 16:49 01 Jun 03

I have just had a phone call from a friend who can't get into windows 3.1 when she types in the usual command she get the message bad command.

Afraid I can't help at all I started my computing life with W95, has her machine finally gone belly up, she has had it since 1994!

Gaz 25 16:53 01 Jun 03

Upgrade, it sounds as though the PC has had enough.

But if you really want to keep 3.1 try reinsalling it.

DieSse 16:56 01 Jun 03

Presuming she types in Win to get from DOS to Win3.1, then the message means the file she is trying to run is not there, or can't be found.

There are so many things that could be wrong, I hesitate to even start, especially via a third party.

Tell her to do a

dir win.* /s

from the C prompt. This may at least tell us if and where the Win program file is or isn't - but we'll need the full lust of results to go further.

One last thought, in case the path's vanished, try typing this this at the C prompt.

cd\windows
win

DieSse 16:57 01 Jun 03

... need the full lust of ...

Freudian slip here should be list, of course ;-))

Valvegrid 17:19 01 Jun 03

She's still using win3.1! Good for her, what's happened is most unusual because we still have a computer at work with 3.1 on it and it's one of the most stable O/S you can get, only wish it would support all the other M$ applications I would stick it on my machine.

The problem is most likely an age thing like the HDD giving up the ghost. If she still has all the floppies of dos and 3.1 and she wants to continue using it, why not replace the HDD with a small cheap one, if you can still get into DOS she can still back up her data files from there.

DieSse 17:50 01 Jun 03

Sorry just noticed, the last line should read

cd\windows

win

Steven135 18:28 01 Jun 03

Thanks all I'll pass it on methinks its time to get the purse out!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…