Windows 2k pro password

jono366 12:53 07 Mar 05

I was asked by a freind to update his laptop from win98 to win 2k pro. His win98 had a password on it that he didnt put there is was done by a shop last year, But with win98 you can get machine to go without putting a password in. Now that i have updated to 2k pro it needs the password to get machine to boot up but he dont know it. What i need is to either get this password of it or find out how to reset a new password on it so i can get machine to work.

I know this is not the thing i should be asking here as i could be hacking another pc but you guy's will have to trust me this is not the case this is a genuine request that i really need help with. Feel it is my fault for doing this to his pc and getting abit worried now that i think i may have lost everything on his pc cos only other way i know is to format and start over with it. PLEASE Help someone!!!!!!

ty

MichelleC 13:56 07 Mar 05

You should have been asked to set password on upgrade. The 98 password will have nothing to do with w2k password. Try this:

1- boot to the windows xp/2000 CD
, 2- press enter to start setup
, 3- press F8 for the license agreement
, 4- when you get the option to repair the current installation press R to do so
, 5- let it run through and for windows XP wait until it reboots and is installing, devices then press shift F10 to open a command prompt. For windows 2000 wait until it is registering components then press shift F10 to open a command prompt.
, 6- In windows XP either type in "nusrmgr.cpl" w/o quotation marks at the command prompt and press enter. For windows 2000 type in "control.exe" w/o quotation marks and press enter. This should open up the user accounts applet in XP and the regular control panel in 2000.
, 7- select the users and change or remove their passwords accordingly, apply
settings and close the control panel windows and command prompt windows so that
just setup is running again.
, 8- let the inplace upgrade finish

The user should now be able to log in when it finishes and not have to reinstall
the programs like in a parallel install.

xania 14:05 07 Mar 05

I want my own copy of this discussion

TomJerry 15:09 07 Mar 05

but noone will tell, just google for it

Diodorus Siculus 16:13 07 Mar 05

click here
Forgot the Administrator's Password?

jono366 17:02 07 Mar 05

Thx i will try this when i get home @ work just now and guy was asking me about his pc.:(. Xania why you want a copy of this post??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…