Windows 2003 Server

recap 09:19 06 Apr 05

I am planning a clean install from W2k server to W2003k next week.

I have one small question over this. I will be backing up the System State of the W2k server and certain other files. If I Keep all the settings the same in W2003k, I am taking it as read that the W2k back up tape will work in the new environment. Am I correct in my assumption?

The reason for the clean install, is that the current C: drive has gotten too small.

Forum Editor 18:50 07 Apr 05

is 'yes' recap.

There's a Service Pack for 2003 server in the beta stage by the way - I'm testing, and it's looking good so far.

pauldonovan 19:41 07 Apr 05

Isn't beta anymore - it is full release candidate now. Isn't it ? I hope so - we just went live with it this evening and it worked a treat.... it is meant to perform better, not noticably so far, but then our kit is hardly overloaded.

Forum Editor 20:10 07 Apr 05

I'm working on the R2 beta, the core of which is based on the SP1 platform, and is very definitely not a full release candidate.

Sorry if I mislead/confused you.

pauldonovan 21:07 07 Apr 05

Sorry FE, I assumed and we know what an ass that makes of you and me both! We're not priveleged enough to get R2 beta!

SP1 seems good so far though!

Forum Editor 21:45 07 Apr 05

Indeed it is, and I think you'll like R2 even more. Microsoft just made an internal developer server available to us, which looks very interesting. I wish I had more hours in the day.

Forum Editor 07:33 08 Apr 05

It's obviously my week for being obtuse.

"I'm working on the R2 beta, the core of which is based on the SP1 platform"

Windows Server 2003 R2 is the latest version of Windows Server 2003. It contains both Service Pack (SP1) and a large number of features and components that were not contained in the previous version. Some of these components were, in the past, only available as separate technologies, and some are completely new.

I hope that finally clears up any confusion? I suppose my error was in calling R2 a 'service pack'.

recap 08:46 08 Apr 05

Thanks for your replies everyone, much appreciated.

I may have to work on this over the weekend as the server keeps shutting it's self down, with an error of "The previous shutdown at ***** was unexpected" from the Event Log.

I have checked over the server for viruses and I have also conducted a full diagnostic, and it came out with a clean bill of health. So all I can assume is it is due to the C: drive being far too small.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…