Windows 2000 And XP

scooby43 17:33 18 Aug 03

hi all I have a problem with setting up my network with another computer my main one has windows 2000 on and the other has XP but it wont let me share the internet connection for the other pc I have mcaffee installed and trying to use the set up home network wizard with mcaffee but it keeps saying it cant find another machine ?

Does anyone know what to do

cheers

scooby43 17:40 18 Aug 03

I have mcaffe on the other machine and I tried the network wizard on it but it still gave me the same message as my first post cheers

jimv7 17:48 18 Aug 03

Disable mcaffee, a lot of free/cheaper firewalls do not support networks.

A15 18:35 18 Aug 03

You do not say how you have the machines networked. I assume you have them connected with a crossover Ethernet cable & two NIC's & that you are trying to use Microsoft's ICS. I had a go at this but found ICS so much trouble & so fussy I gave up & bought a router.

Also what kind of internet connection are you trying to share, dial-up or broadband? If you give a more detailed explanation of your set up I am certain somebody in here will get you up & running.

scooby43 18:53 18 Aug 03

hi again I appoligise for not being more detailed I am using freeserve broadband connection my main machine uses windows 2000 and the other uses XP yes I have 2 network cards and a crossover cable linking them together. is there a network wizard for windows 2000?

cheers

scooby43 13:50 19 Aug 03

anyone else have any ideas

Compulearner 16:21 19 Aug 03

scooby43

Does this help

click here

scooby43 12:50 20 Aug 03

thanks for the link Compulearner

scooby43 15:47 20 Aug 03

the other machine that I have is windows XP home edition is it only XP pro that allows this function?

windows server 16:16 20 Aug 03

I have two xp pro machines and the macfee firewall.
First you need to make sure that both machines are in the same workgroup. Does not matter what the name is, call it what you like. Also make sure that the machine with the internet connection is aways on first before booting up.
If the macfee firewall still will not see it. You need to exclude the ip addresses that Microsofts` ICS uses. They will be 192.168.X.X. If you add 192.168.* to the exclued range in the firewall you should have no problem. You will need to change it the advance tab, block ip address. (there you can choose allowed or disallowed for your network card). Good luck

windows server 16:23 20 Aug 03

sorry i have not made what i said very clear. You must allow the ip addresses though the firewall. This will not allow any one from the web to get to your machine, you will still be protected.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…