Windows 2000 - want to change Administrator start

MalcSP 14:01 16 Jan 03
  MalcSP 14:01 16 Jan 03

I have a lap-top running under Windows 2000. I added my name to the Administrator Users. I am using the same password as that for 'Administrator'. I need it to start up with my name but even when I've shut down with my name as the logged on user, it boots up with 'Administrator' as the User name. How can I boot up with my name and, thus, my files? I cannot delete 'Administrator' as it is built in.

spikeychris 16:43 16 Jan 03

Now then I don't know if this will work as I am at home and I cant try it

What is a possibility is renaming the administrator as yourself. You would have to delete your name from the users first then type your name as the administrator.

Right Click the My Computer Icon on the Desktop.
Choose Manage from the Pop up menu.
Click the Plus sign on the left of the Local Users and Groups icon.

Click the Users folder to display a list of user accounts in the right frame

Locate the account named Administrator in the right frame and right click the account name.
Choose Rename from the pop up menu and type your name in the box beside the Administrator icon.

MalcSP 17:01 16 Jan 03

Thanks, but I too am at home just now. However, any attempt to do anything to 'Administrator' seems to be prohibited. Still I'll try it when I get back to work tomorrow. Thanks once again.

spikeychris 17:07 16 Jan 03

You will have to be logged on as administrator to perform the changes so don't log on as a user or with the account you created.

Chris

temp003 03:30 17 Jan 03

Try Group Policy. You should be able to do this either as Administrator or yourself (since you you have the same rights). Click Start, Run, type gpedit.msc and click OK.

On the left hand pane, expand Computer Configuration, Windows Settings, Security Settings, Local Policies. Highlight Security Options. On the right hand pane, find an item called "Do not display last user name in logon screen". If it says Enabled, double click the entry, and select Disabled. Click OK. Exit Group Policy. At the next shutdown and restart, the last user name should appear in the logon screen.

MalcSP 22:55 17 Jan 03

Tried temp003's and it worked so haven't tried yours yet Chris. Thanks anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5