Windows 2000 System 32 Issue Preventing Startup

Del101 17:28 12 Mar 05

Following message appears before windows 2000 starts up.

"Windows 2000 could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: windows 2000 root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe. Please re-install a copy of the above file"

I have no boot disk to do a safe start up and subsequently to run norton anti virus (NAV). How can i resolve this problem, either by getting into windows to run NAV or any other solution?

VoG II 17:35 12 Mar 05
  Diemmess 17:57 12 Mar 05

Can you boot into Safe Mode?

If so I can email a copy of the file from a working system and you may be able to search for and replace the file.

It is a clumsy way around the problem but it works!

I had trouble for quite different reasons and eventually had to re-install the Multi-computer HyperOs system my daughter was running, but if all you lack is a sound file, and not some other underlying problem?........

Meanwhile though Malware might lie at the heart of it try the simpler things first.

Diemmess 18:10 12 Mar 05

You emailed me with that sad news........Forgive me stating the obvious, but you did try tapping F8 at the beginning - well before you get the error message?

Diemmess 18:57 18 Mar 05

Just might be your trouble? the "Ntoskrnl" was only one of the errors that were thrown at me before it would boot.

RAM - please try removing all but one piece. Or put back whatever you had recently when life was simple!

An unmatched pair (512 and 125) had me clawing up the wall until I took one out of admittedly an old syle mobo. Either would work alone, but both together - *^!!**

Cuddles 21:36 18 Mar 05

I had exactly the same problem which was resolved by removing a stick of ram as it was unmatched.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…