Windows 2000 'stealing' hard drive space

chriscross72 21:54 16 Mar 04

After I had installed windows 2000 onto my pc I put on all my programes and other personal items.I checked the hard drive space useage and found that I had used about 4gb of space on the 40gb hard drive......After i had done other things for a few days including writing a few dvds i checked it again and found that 12.1gb had now been used...i cannot seem to find any folders that contain anything of this size and have certainly not installed it myself.does anyone know where my 8gb has gone...???

Muckle 22:06 16 Mar 04

It sounds like it could be a virus - update and run a full system scan

Muckle 22:27 16 Mar 04

Check this thread click here

temp003 09:43 17 Mar 04

Try this. Go into My Computer, click Tools, Folder Options, View tab, tick Show hidden files and folders, and untick Hide file extensions. Click OK. This makes it easier for you to see what's really there.

You DVDs. You haven't created an image before burning, have you? What about temp files?

Check c:\documents and settings\your user name\local settings\temp

Check c:\winnt\temp

Also use Search. Tick the box for "size", and enter a number in KB, say 100000 KB (this may be too large, in which case change to smaller until you find bigger files). Then just click Search Now (no need to put in file name). See if it finds anything large.

JerryJay 09:47 17 Mar 04

Do you use FAT16 file format? If you use this format, some small files (e.g. a lot of files downloaded during web browsing) will waste big space. Convert to FAT32 or NTFS using tool such as Partition Magic, but backup everything first.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…