Windows 2000 Shutdown

Mr White 07:08 20 May 04

I am using Windows 2000 and was able to shutdown my laptop without a problem.

I have downloaded and installed the latest service pack (sp4)from microsoft and I am now unable to close windows down using the start and shutdown routine. I am left to power off as my only means of shutdown?

Can anybody suggest why ??

Thanks

MichelleC 09:18 20 May 04

I've not heard of this prob. Try running sfc.

Mr White 09:28 20 May 04

what is SFC?

recap 12:14 20 May 04

SFC = System File Checker. Go to Start/Run and type in SFC. Thsi as its name suggests checks your files to see if there are any that are either corrupt of missing. Have your O/S disc at hand as you may need it.

MichelleC 14:04 20 May 04

With w2k you've got to go to RUN, type cmd (command prompt) and type in sfc /scannow (note space), and it'll replace any system files from os disc. After you can see what it's done:

Click Start, Run, Type: eventvwr.msc and then Click OK

Click System

Then under Source find Windows File Protection (WFP) If there are only two entries, it means 1) It started 2) It finished.

If there are any more it means it has replaced a file. Just double click it to find out what it has done.

Mr White 14:10 20 May 04

thanks

will give it a go!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…