Windows 2000 Setup Error

daba 15:26 11 Oct 08

When I try to do a Repair Setup of W2K, setup complains that it cannot find a file called al583y9n.sys. It cannot continue without it.

I can't find any information on this on the web - does anyone know what this file is, why Setup needs it, and how to proceed from here.

Also, the failed setup has left a "Boot Chooser" which defaults to the setup program - how do I remove this ?

Any help would be appreciated.

brundle 15:39 11 Oct 08

Look for it in the current WINNT/system32 folder

daba 17:10 11 Oct 08

but it's not there - that's why setup can't find it.

and it's nowhere else on the HDD either, nor is it on the W2K CD

brundle 17:29 11 Oct 08

Why do you need to repair it? If the problem was an infection by trojan or virus that may be one of the randomly named files it installed, any clean up attempts may have removed it from the disk if not from the registry. Can you look through the drivers loaded with Autoruns (if you can get into the machine) and untick the file if it's there? click here

daba 17:38 11 Oct 08

Quote "... setup complains that it cannot find a file called al583y9n.sys. It cannot continue without it..."

I don't know what the file is, but setup requires it, so it's not a virus or anything..

I'm stumped.

Reason for W2K repair - I think I may have a ENUM problem, my mouse is very unresponsive when www browsing. Probably caused by changing mobo's with different chipsets - although everything else is just fine.

brundle 18:13 11 Oct 08

"I don't know what the file is, but setup requires it, so it's not a virus or anything.."

Not neccessarily; the repair install bases some of its operations on what's already in (parts of) the registry, not all of which is required or complimentary to the workings of the machine in question. I remember the thread now. Still stand by my post on that one too. Fresh install is the quickest and most complete solution.

daba 23:31 11 Oct 08

Not totally convinced with that explanation brundle. I can't find any references to "al583y9n" other than in mru entries for IE and explorer searches.

I was hoping someone would know what the file is, and what it's used for.

But you may be right about the fresh install - i'll make plans for that i think.

Thanks for your responses

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…