Windows 2000 server profile question

Muzz_former_aol_employee 11:23 21 Nov 05

Hi people

Here's the situation.

Windows 2000 domain in school type enviroment. Applications and what not installed locally on PC's. A profile is setup on the server which all users pickup when logging on. When users log off massive temp files and stuff get saved into the profile on the server.

This is lagging out and slowing down all the pc's and logon times. I want to make this profile mandatory so users grab this eachtime they log on but these massive temp files are not written to the server's copy of the profile.

I've tried changing permission and making it read only but it just says it cannot load the profile and uses the local one on the pc's.

What do I need to do?

BigMoFoT 12:47 21 Nov 05

referring to is what's called a roaming profile - which due to the problems you have stated is not always adviseable - especially in a school environment.
To answer your question I would suggest not using raoming profiles and use Group Policy objects to lock down the PC when a user logs on. You can dictate backgrounds, screensavers, start menus etc. This will then reduce the network traffic and still give you a high level of security.

recap 13:04 21 Nov 05

As BigMoFoT says using roaming profiles is not the way to go.

Group Policies are your key, create an Organisational Unit (OU). Right click the OU and select Properties/Group Policy. From here you can install software to the users of this OU, and set the security permisions to all users in the OU.

click here it may help you?

Muzz_former_aol_employee 19:39 24 Nov 05

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…