Windows 2000 Server Installation Guide...

MjM Hellfire 14:15 19 Sep 03

Does anyone know of a good site that takes you through the above mentioned installation?

Preferably with screenshots if possible.

Thanks.

AndySD 14:49 19 Sep 03

Do you want to install it as a stand alone server? for use in a workgroup or with Active Directory.

If for anything other than a small workgroup you would be advised to spend some time in study and planing before you start. If you are adding it to a domain already working then get professional help with this.

alcudia 15:30 19 Sep 03

Took me three weeks with the aid of a book almost as heavy as the machine, learning as I went along. Must have done something right because it's been working for a year.

But I'm afraid it's far too involved to explain here, and I don't know of any site that would help. There is just far too much to go through.

MjM Hellfire 15:32 19 Sep 03

Yeah I'm just experimenting with an old pc and wanna try setting it up as stand alone, then get into active directory later.

I'm really just after a list of the basic installation instruction features that get the OS onto a HD, ready for doing whatever...

eg Enter Bios and set cdrom to 1st booteable device...that sort of thing.

Really basic AndySD as I'm just starting to learn a little about it.

Cheers!

AndySD 16:00 19 Sep 03

Enter Bios and set cdrom to 1st booteable device. Boot with the CD."Press Enter to setup Windows 2000"

You must now choose the partition for the installation.

Convert the partition to NTFS - Press 'C' to convert or ESC to change your mind.

Setup will now copy files to the correct install folders.

The computer will reboot when finished copying.

When the computer reboots, it will automatically load your installation of Windows 2000.

Windows 2000 will now finish setting up. - Click 'Next' when prompted and allow Windows 2000 to detect and install devices.

Windows 2000 will prompt you for your Name and Company Name. If you want to get creative here, feel free

When prompted for your product key, type it in.

When prompted for Computer Name, enter the whatever you wish.

For the password, enter at least 8 numbers/letters and note it down.

If you are prompted for components to install deselect IIS and Indexing Service. Leave all other settings unchanged and click 'next'.

Set Time Zone

Select 5 as the number of client connections

Next, you will configure the network. Select 'Typical Settings'
(This option includes Client for Microsoft Networks, TCP/IP, and File and Printer Sharing).

When prompted for Workgroup or Computer Domain, Select, "No, this computer is not on the network, or is on a network without a domain controller.

Enter a name for your workgroup.

Wait while setup finishes installing. - Click finish when prompted.

When the computer reboots, you must log in using the username 'Administrator' and the password that was entered previously.

Now install the Drivers.

MjM Hellfire 16:33 19 Sep 03

Top man...cheers!

If I was looking for a more detailed look into server 2000...are there any good sites around I could plunder?

I'm as tight as a sharks ass at 50 fathoms, so I would prefer to avoid the purchasing of a book.

Cheers!

AndySD 16:40 19 Sep 03

click here is a good start.

spikeychris 16:54 19 Sep 03

Mail me by using the envelope at the side of my name and I'll send you a full systematic guide to installing Windows 2000 Server.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…