Windows 2000 server

hoodlums 23:16 10 Nov 04

Hi.. I need to set up a simple server to help with some IT related study. The server software is in and running OK but I can not get it onto the net via my router.

When connected the network connections box says the line is good.... but no internet connection. I've tried setting the IP to manual and auto config to no avail. I'm getting no joy in trying to ping the router.

I know the hardware is fine. Any advice would be good

Cheers...

Gaz 25 23:24 10 Nov 04

Are you sure the DNS settings in your TCP/IP options are set to the IP address of your router?

Is the firewall disabled?

Can you ping the routers IP address?

Regards,

Gaz25

hillybilly 23:27 10 Nov 04

W2k normally has DHCP server running, and so do most routers. Have you checked whether they are conflicting? If their both on you must disable one. I would disable DHCP in the router.

hoodlums 23:29 10 Nov 04

I tried to ping the router IP address but nothing.

At the moment the install is a basic clean install with no DHCP/DNS or active directory set up.

hillybilly 23:37 10 Nov 04

When you go to a command prompt and typeIPCONFIG what adress does it return?

hoodlums 10:41 11 Nov 04

Will try tonight when i get home.....

but even if I set a fixed IP address it can't be pinged.

hillybilly 10:49 11 Nov 04

Post back this evening what ipconfig comes up with an we'll take it from there.

hoodlums 23:36 11 Nov 04

Hillbilly.......

I did a quick clean install just incase. I had the network card plugged in during. When it was all installed I did ipconfig

I got back
ip address 192.168.156.2
Subnet 255.255.255.0
Def Gateway 192.168.156.1

But still not Internet access. I also tried to ping the other machine going through the router/firewall but it timed out.

hoodlums 23:38 11 Nov 04

pinging the router don't work either.

hillybilly 09:53 12 Nov 04

If you cannot do this

"pinging the router don't work either."

Then you won't be able to do this either.

"....other machine going through the router/firewall but it timed out."

What is the make and model of your router?

In the mean time please make absolutely sure you do not have DHCP running on the server. At the moment from what I can see you definately have a DCHP running on the router, and it's ip address is

When you failed to ping the router was that the address you used?

hillybilly 09:56 12 Nov 04

Another quick question. please confirm how many network cards you have in the server?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…