Windows 2000 & safe mode

Gerrycan 12:41 29 Apr 03

I have just had a telephone conversation with a colleague who asked me to help him,but never ever used windows 2000 i am not sure what he should do.
Problem he has is that his pc "Win2000" will only start in safe mode.any advise please.

mrdsgs 13:45 29 Apr 03

let it start in safe mode, the screen will look different. once up and running, look in event viewer or device manager to see if there are any obvious problems. then reboot, if all is well it should reboot normally.

(w2000 by default boots into safe mode after a problem with the previous boot. safe mode loads minimal drivers to enable you to look for problems.)

Gerrycan 13:51 29 Apr 03

Thanks i am calling on him this evening and will try this and see what happens

AndySD 14:55 29 Apr 03

Make sure its going to safe mode

1.Start the computer. The computer begins processing a set of instructions known as the Basic Input/Output System (BIOS). What is displayed depends on the BIOS manufacturer. Some computers display a progress bar that refers to the word BIOS, while others may not display any indication that this process is happening.

2. As soon as the BIOS has finished loading, begin tapping the F8 key on your keyboard. Continue to do so until the Windows Advanced Options menu appears.

NOTE: If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers will generate a "keyboard error" message. Please restart and try again.

Use the arrow keys to highlight Last Known Good Configuration, and then press ENTER.

Thie may sort the problem out.

Gerrycan 15:03 29 Apr 03

Thanks, will try, i have search MS for solutions for why it should always start in safe mode,but it does not give any solutions, so will try whats been posted thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…