windows 2000 professional to XP Network

Goodtime 20:55 02 Jul 05

Please help,

I'm trying to connect my laptop which runs XP to my PC which runs windows 2000 professional via my netgear router.
My WIndows 2000 pc can acces the router and the net just not my laptop.
I have run the wizard on the xp laptop and i think i have checked everything on windows 2000 pc but obviously not as when ever i try and check out the network it says i dont have permissons eventhough i am signed in under the Administrator!
Very frustrating, any ideas?

jimv7 21:34 02 Jul 05

Have you shared the drives, right click on the hard drive/sharing and security, enable drive for sharing.

Goodtime 01:11 03 Jul 05

yeah tried that and still no joy. :O(

retep888 01:28 03 Jul 05

What firewalls are you running on both pcs?

Goodtime 13:17 03 Jul 05

I'm using Zone alarm. I don think that is the prob because usually Zone Alarm flags up when something is trying ot get in or out.

retep888 16:00 03 Jul 05

Which model do you have? wired or wireless? Have you got the laptop's IP address setup thru' DHCP?

For interacting between networks,your ZL firewall's IZS has to be set to medium.

Goodtime 08:39 04 Jul 05

I have both, i run the laptop on wireless occasionaly, but most of the time wires ZA is set at medium. DOnt know what or how to set IP or DHCP.

PsiFox 10:39 04 Jul 05

Make sure both machines are on the same workgroup.

With regard to the permissions problems this is oftern due to user accounts.

Read both of these, particularly take note of second link

click here

click here

See also

click here

Stuartli 12:29 04 Jul 05

The XP Network Setup Wizard is, apparently, only supported on systems using 98, ME or XP, so that's ruled out..:-(

Another troubleshooting source, to add to PsiFox's links, is click here

Goodtime 20:13 04 Jul 05

Many thanks for your help, Desktop (win2000) Can now go into Laptop (winXP) but not the other way. Very frustrating.

Anymore help would be gratedfully recieved.

j

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…