Windows 2000 problems: hard disk related?

Handy Spinner 11:08 03 Nov 04

Quoting from the email my friend sent me...

"It certainly doesn't seem right at the moment. Awful trouble getting it to start up properly today. Various aditional messages : upsd.exe failed to initialise properly, explorer.exe and mstask.exe (or poss nstask.exe) both 'generated errors'

I get the blue screen regularly on the first start up, and typically have to restart. The file mentioned on the blue/white screen is ntoskrnl.exe which rings a bell - ((I think it was a Sygate message mentioned kernel files - ??))

Also after Windows starts a warning message tells me that HID.DLL is missing or can't be found.

Then there is the disk check program that Windows runs. I've had that two or three times."

I, unfortunately, do not have a lot of experience with Win 2000, so maybe someone here could indicate to me the problem? We installed a new hard disk fairly recently, and before that, new RAM.

Many thanks,

Smegs 11:26 03 Nov 04

click here HID.DLL looks like some kind of driver.

click here Ntoskrnl.exe could be a number of things.

AndySD 11:46 03 Nov 04

If he can get into windows and has the 2000 cd then try the System File Checker.

Start then Run type in

click ok

type in

sfc /scanonce

hit enter.

Handy Spinner 14:40 21 Nov 04

I've tried removing some recently installed RAM, but it still doesn't alsways boot up correctly.

He says that after rebooting after the blue screen, his modem won't owrk, and then he has to reboot again. I think he uses an ISDN box though as his external modem. Does this suggest anything to you?

I'm wondering if a new motherboard, processor, and re-installation of Windows would do the trick.

Further help would be greatly appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…