Windows 2000 - please help!!

Phyllis 00:13 04 Oct 04

My sister in law has a Sony PIII laptop with 866MHz which she only uses for emails and internet browsing and never do any updates on her laptop for over 3 years. So when I was using her laptop, the microsoft windows update website popped up again and asked if i wanted to update and of course, judging by my own experience, I installed all the critical updates. However, the disaster strike as the laptop restarted. I could not set up any internet connection as it always pops up the error message "svchost.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created." So phoned up my ISP and he asked me to go to control panel to look at network and dial up connection and found that to be blanked. So he said I have to get the win 2000 Cd and reinstall that feature but they had moved house about 2 years ago and the win 2000 disc has lost.

I therefore searched the Windows 2000 support pages and located the KB article 319161. I have checked all the registry entries per this article and nothing was indifferent from the data sheet. So no luck. Then more error messages started to creep up like error 711 and error 5 and I had tried the microsoft KB and still no vain.

Unlike the Win XP which we could restore to an earlier point but win 2000 does not seem to have this option.

Please would anybody be kindly to help as that is not my computer and i happened to break it. Would uninstall the updates help?

Phyllis

AndySD 03:34 04 Oct 04

This sounds like the blaster worm. Try click here

Diodorus Siculus 07:39 04 Oct 04

You really will need the Win2k CD - unless the files are stored on the hard disk.

Try going to add/remove programs and see what is there under the windows components section. If you can add the dial up networking selection without the CD you may be ok. Otherwise you will need the CD.

temp003 09:44 04 Oct 04

I agree with AndySD. click here to download the Microsoft Blaster patch. If necessary, download it from another computer, put it on a floppy and run the patch.

Then download the Symantec removal tool and run it. If necessary, run it in Safe Mode.

After that, update your antivirus definitions, scan the computer. Then apply Windows critical updates.

I don't think the problem was caused by the Windows updates. Your sister should have done it earlier.

Phyllis 18:32 05 Oct 04

thanks guys for such valuable info. but i have run the blaster worm fix and the system was free from the worm. so what do you think.

i dont think they have the win 2k cd.

thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…