Windows 2000 Network Issues

jst0076 15:47 06 Jul 07

Hi,

Hopefully this is a basic query that someone will be able to eailly answer for me......

I have set up a small wireless network. I have one PC running xp and one on windows 2000 pro. When I set up my wireless adaptor (usb) on the xp machine I was advised by a colleague not to install the linksys software that came with it but install the driver only and let windows do all the work. This seemed to work fine.

I therefore tried the same thing on the machine running 2000. When I only install the driver the pc does not seem to find the adaptor. The power light on the adaptor does not come on and it shows with a yellow triangle in device manager. If I install the software, it seems to work, but I have connection issues. Sometimes I can access the router only and not the internet. Also, everytime I connect to my network there is pop up telling me I have a static ip and asking if I want to change this to one assigned by the router. (Which I don't).

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to set this up in windows 2000 without using the nasty linksys software? Why can't I just install the driver and be done? Does windows 2000 need to have some sort of software installed to manage wireless connections? If so, is there a good alternative out there to the linksys stuff that came with the adaptor?

Thanks in advance for any help.

brundle 16:02 06 Jul 07

In many instances it is preferable to go with the OS' built-in software to manage things, in this case Win 2k doesn't have built-in software, so you may aswell put the Linksys software on and solve the problem.

jst0076 16:09 06 Jul 07

The linksys software isn't really solving the problem which is why I don't want to use it. Every now and again using the linksys software you get a message saying that you are connected to the access point (router) but the internet cannot be found. A reboot usually makes the problem go away. I tested the software on my xp pc which is working fine, and the same thing happend when I turned off the zero config utility and relied on the linksys software.

Thanks for answering my question as to whether or not w2k can manage the network, I had a feeling it couldn't.

Can you suggest some good software to do the job that is not the software I got from linksys. It appears to be pants. (Although I am open to other theories.)

mgmcc 17:08 06 Jul 07

<<< Can you suggest some good software to do the job that is not the software I got from linksys. >>>

With Windows XP, you can install the adapter with DRIVERS ONLY and use Windows' own wireless software to manage wireless connections.

This option isn't available in Windows 2000 and so you will have to use the Linksys software. If there is a problem in doing that, the alternative is buy a different brand of wireless adapter and use that with its own software. I have a Belkin USB adapter that works alright in Windows 2000, although I've just installed a Linksys WUSB54GS and that is also working OK. It did initially indicate that it wasn't connected to the internet but web pages still loaded.

brundle 17:17 06 Jul 07

Not really, a friend of mine had a wireless linksys setup and it caused no end of problems, the router was returned for repair as it appeared to be faulty but it was returned with note saying it was A-OK - I have always found Netgear hardware more straight-forward. Not much good to you I know - there isn't much information on the 'net relating to your requirements - would something like Netstumbler
provide a connection method? click here

Strawballs 18:31 06 Jul 07

I may be wrong but I thought that if you have SP4 with win 2000 it does have WZC.

mgmcc 20:52 06 Jul 07

<<< I thought that if you have SP4 with win 2000 it does have WZC.>>>

Unfortunately not, I've just booted Win 2000 SP4 to double check but it doesn't. :(

Ashrich 20:52 06 Jul 07

Strawballs is right , download SP4 for 2000 and you will have Wireless Zero functionality .

Ashley

mgmcc 21:08 06 Jul 07

<<< Strawballs is right , download SP4 for 2000 and you will have Wireless Zero functionality >>>

I've got 2000 SP4 running in a PC sitting beside me and it doesn't have WZC.

Strawballs 23:40 06 Jul 07

click here Scroll down to 1.6

1.6 Support for Wireless Protocol 802.1x

mgmcc 16:44 07 Jul 07

<< 1.6 Support for Wireless Protocol 802.1x >>

That's exactly what I have, but it is not the equivalent of XP's WZC which can run a wireless network connection. It is only the implementation of 802.1x network authentication for both wireless and wired ethernet networks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5