Windows 2000 log-in problem

CurlyWhirly 19:33 15 Dec 05

A friend from work has suddenly come across a problem which is that he can't log in to Windows.

What happens is that just before the Windows desktop would usually load (I have never used Windows 2000 but I am under the impression that XP and 2000 are closely related) up comes a log in screen.

This screen has the User Name and a password prompt along with an options tab but when clicked on it doesn't do anything!

After the incorrect password has been entered (because he's forgotten it) a message comes up on screen saying that the system could not log you on and make sure you are entering the password correctly as it is case sensitive.

Can anything be done apart from a reformat as he would then lose all his personal stuff since the operating system was originally installed?

He has tried taking out the BIOS battery but I think this only works for BIOS passwords and this isn't a BIOS password prompt?

Any help would be most welcome. Thanks.

VoG II 19:37 15 Dec 05
  CurlyWhirly 19:49 15 Dec 05

Thanks for the link.
I am a bit confused as according to the article it is a paid for product at $195 or am I mistaken?

VoG II 19:52 15 Dec 05

There are links to 5 free tools about 1/3 down the page, CurlyWhirly. I don't know whether they all work with W2K.

CurlyWhirly 19:59 15 Dec 05

Cheers VoG™, I will re-check.
Some of the tools look a bit complicated to use as they require that the tools be burned to CD/DVD using the ISO method!

VoG II 20:00 15 Dec 05

Yes it isn't straightforward.

If he doesn't have anything of great value on there it would be a lot quicker and less painful to reformat.

CurlyWhirly 20:03 15 Dec 05

Yes I agree, perhaps a reformat would be easier.

Thanks anyway ;0)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…