windows 2000 boot up freeze

rp 15:59 03 Dec 05

Hello, hope someone can help with this

My computer (Asus A7N266 VM motherboard)has worked for a year or more. I installed some new software and connected a new device to the serial port (to update the GPS database of an Origin B2). The computer froze up, and all attempts at restarting freeze at the Windows 2000 logo screen, with the progress bar at zero. I have tried safe mode, last good configuration and booting from floppy disc set (the 2000 CD appears to be non bootable). All freeze at 'starting windows 2000'. So I swapped the hard disc for one from an old computer, with windows 98. This booted up, though there are some compatibility problems with the motherboard. I then attempted to upgrade this old disc from 98 to 2000. This appeared to be working, until it restarted and froze at the 'setup is starting windows 2000' point. This disc now gives the choice of starting either 98 or 2000, but only 98 actually boots up. I suspect a component failure on the motherboard, but cannot think why this would only affect the 2000 boot up. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance, Richard

MichelleC 16:18 03 Dec 05

If you've got w2k and 98 on same partition there could be a prob. Are there any yellows in Device Manager? You could try a 'repair' of w2k which reinstalls itself over the top (boot from w2k disc -may have to change bootup sequence in bios - and choose 'install' from 1st option, then select w2k os and choose 'repair' at this stage. You'll have to redo updates).

rp 17:18 03 Dec 05

Thanks for the reply
I picked the upgrade option, so had not expected 98 to be still available - but it seemed to fail part way through the installation of 2000. The w2k CD will not boot, the only way to start things is from 98 so there is no option to repair, only an upgrade or a clean install (and the clean install also stops at 'setup is starting windows 2000'. There are problems with compatibility of the motherboard and 98, which forced me to use w2k, but it did work correctly for some time.

MichelleC 09:41 04 Dec 05

It's worth having a look at the notepad and Word docs on the w2k disc and this link click here In the end it may be best to format and remove 98 and install w2k. My advice would be to fdisk and create at least 2 partions

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac