Windows 2000 *.bat files

blackwhite 16:09 28 Jul 03

Hi

Could you please tell me when writing a *.bat file and sticking it into the startup menu inside the start menu. How do we get it to quite automatically once it has been launched. The exit and the quite commands do not work.

Thanks

seedie 16:50 28 Jul 03

Not sure about this but try exit as your last command in the batch file.

CD

spikeychris 16:56 28 Jul 03

Whats the batch file for? how have you written it?

DieSse 17:19 28 Jul 03

EXIT is the correct command to use.

However, one trick is to put a shortcut to the batch file in the start menu, and in the properties for the shortcut, tick the box "close on exit"

spikeychris 17:33 28 Jul 03

Thats where I was going :o)

blackwhite 19:49 28 Jul 03

I have written a batch file to launch Internet explorer as part of the desktop build.

The content is:

cd C:
cd C:\program files
cd internet explorer
iexplore.exe

thats it.

It launches the explorer and the cmd prompt does not exit.

thanks

DieSse 20:11 28 Jul 03

Have you tried my suggestion then?

DieSse 20:12 28 Jul 03

Why do yu need a batch file to do this? - why not simply put a shrtcut to IE in the start menu?

DieSse 20:14 28 Jul 03

and what about the line to say EXIT ?

blackwhite 21:25 28 Jul 03

Hello

I have tried your suggestion, but did not work.

What i intend to do is to open an Lotus Notes mail file in Internet Explorer by typing in the following for example:

click here

This will automatically find the username and load the user's mail file in Internet Explorer. The problem is that the command prompt will load but won't exit. We have to make the process transparent.

i have tried the exit but no luck.

Hope this helps.
Thanks

DieSse 22:21 28 Jul 03

There seem to be many quirks in the Win2000 DOS emulator. One I read suggests the CLS (Clear Screen) will actually close the DOS window.

Also see here for some useful info on bartch files, specific to NT/2000 click here

Note especially in the "what commands can I use in a batch file" FAQ, the need to possibly ammend a registry entry to enable the exit command (and the others) to work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…