Windows 2000

cg_macdonald 10:33 04 Mar 03

Can anyone help?

I have tried installing W2000 on to a second hard disk on my computer. After trying a few times I have now given up. Now on startup I get a choice of operating systems W2000 and W2000 setup. how do I get rid of this.

My computer:
MSI motherboard
Duron 1.3
256ram
W2000

Cheers
cgm

temp003 10:59 04 Mar 03

Right click My Computer icon, Properties, Advanced tab, Startup and Recovery.

In the box for default operating system, click the drop down list and select "Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect (if not already chosen). Click OK, OK.

Double click your C drive using My Computer or Windows Explorer. Look for a file called boot.ini under C. If you don't see it, click Tools, Folder Options, View tab. Tick "Show hidden files and folders". Untick "Hide file extensions for known file types". Untick "Hide protected operating system files". Confirm the change. Then click OK.

You should now see the file C:\boot.ini Double click boot.ini which should open in Notepad (or right click and select Open with Notepad).

Under [operating systems], delete the line which reads:
C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Setup"

That's the only change you need to make.

Your boot.ini should now read:

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

This assumes your working copy of Windows 2000 is installed on the primary IDE hard disk, first partition, in the WINNT folder (normally the case). The timeout value is irrelevant when you only have one OS.

Save the changes to boot.ini and exit Notepad.

Restart the computer. You should go straight into Windows 2000 without the dual boot selection menu.

Windows 2000 Setup will have copied an installation folder on to the C drive. The folder is called $WIN_NT$.~BT

Delete the folder to reclaim hard disk space.

cg_macdonald 11:40 14 Mar 03

Thanks thats sorted it.

cg_macdonald 11:40 14 Mar 03

Thanks thats sorted it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…