Windows 2000

The Dazza 23:51 17 Dec 04

I had Windows ME on one of my pc's. I tried to upgrade to windows 2000 but I got a "stop error". When I tried to do a clean install from formatting my hard drive it said i didn't have any hard drives connected to my pc! I then successfully upgraded to xp from me! Why can't I upgrade directly from me to win 2000?

temp003 00:15 18 Dec 04

Because ME came out after Windows 2000 was released. There is no official upgrade path.

The Dazza 14:36 18 Dec 04

Ok, so why can't I do a clean install. WHy would it say I've no hard disks attached?

Diodorus Siculus 14:41 18 Dec 04

Booting with the Win2k should have done it for you; it gives the option to format the hard disk.

temp003 16:43 18 Dec 04

My guess :- This error message usually appears when your hard disk controller needs a special driver (during a clean install of both w2k and XP).

Does your hdd happen to be on a PCI IDE adapter, or is it an SATA hdd? If so, you need to have the hdd controller driver on a floppy. Then, when you boot up computer with the w2k CD, as soon as you see Setup begin to load, you press F6, and in due course you'll be asked to press S, insert floppy, and load the hdd controller driver.

Had your XP been a clean install, it would have happened in the same way.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5