//some 3rd party need geo

WINDOWS 2000

chriscross72 21:40 27 Feb 04

My pc is currently running windows 98 se.....can I install windows 2000 straight over this from cd and have no problems or will I need to format my hard drive and start again from scratch......Is there an alternative in partitioning my hard drive(40gb) to say a 10gb and a 30 gb size and putting windows 2000 on the bigger partition then copying all my programmes and files from the windows 98 partition to the windows 200 partition...
In short what is the easiest most pain free way to upgrade my pc from windows 98se to windows 2000 ???
Thank You... ; )

BBez 21:48 27 Feb 04

upgrade if you want to keep all your apps. I've always done a cleam install by formatting. You have to reinstall all your apps though.

VoG II 21:49 27 Feb 04

The easiest and painless way is to insert the Windows 2K disk in the drive and let it install over the top of W98. All of your data will remain intact and you should have the option to revert to 98. This will install on your existing (single?) partition.

Having said that, the conventional wisdom on this forum is to format and partition and then install from scratch. I do not agree that that is necessary but you should await further comment!

Diodorus Siculus 21:55 27 Feb 04

I would suggest that you install win2k along side 98 if you have a partition - it can be dificult to always find drivers and if the time comes that you like Win2k, you can then remove Win98.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…