Windows 10 Tech Preview 10049 update

hssutton 10:31 06 Apr 15

anyone else having problems with the 10049 update. I have tried on two occasions to do the update which is taking 2-3 hours and then failing to update. Checking on various web sites all I can find is this problem being caused by low disk space, in my case I have 400Gb free.

robin_x 11:55 06 Apr 15

Did you have a look on the MS Insider site?

Sign-up and Participate to start a new thread if you don't find one with your problem.

Also try Disabling Defender or your Antivirus temporarily.

hssutton 13:24 06 Apr 15

Yes to the first question, but it appears to be a common problem, was wondering if anyone had overcome the problem. Will try your suggestion re antivirus. Trouble is at 2-3 hours to complete it becomes rathet time consuming.

rdave13 17:38 06 Apr 15

hssutton , have been running 10 preview since the beginning. Original HDD (Win 8.1) cloned beforehand to SSD. As there are problems with 10049 decided to reinsert original drive, update Win 8.1 then clone back to the SSD. Swapped them over again. Disabled Avast 'permanently' as they call it but not uninstalled. Logging in to insider and downloading 10041 update via Windows update on Windows 8.1. Taken hours for it to work and now shows 16% installation. Failed a few times previously and has downloaded the update twice. So I have a 64 GB SSD now upgrading and so far looks good. If it works will see how it goes for 10049 later on.

I'm just seeing if a type of 'fresh' install of 10 makes any difference rather than having the older versions (with Windows. Old) upgraded all the time. Beta's eh?

hssutton 18:11 06 Apr 15

Thanks for rdave, actually I'm about to do the same the failed update last evening corrupted 10041, causing it not to work. Actually I was working on a cloned W7 64 bit version, but will load 8.1 and see how it goes. As I now only have the one PC I'm having to dual boot,but as I have a large number of photos to edit it will probably be tomorrow before I try it out, so maybe you will let me know how you get on.

rdave13 18:48 06 Apr 15

Well.. to call it slow would be an understatement. It's only on 21% so far.

I'm thinking my theory has something to be desired. I haven't checked if the partition alignment is correct on the SSD but made no difference to win 8.1. Will leave alone for now and see how it goes. Hopefully it will install before Microsoft pulls the plug this month.

rdave13 18:50 06 Apr 15

Crumbs.. just gone up to 22%....

john bunyan 18:54 06 Apr 15

I admire you pioneers! Me, I wait for the final launch, plus a bit!

It is good that you give feedback but I just wait and watch.

rdave13 19:22 06 Apr 15

It stopped at 23%. No SSD activity and no fan blowing. Cold shutdown and reboot. It's now trying to restore win 8.1

If successful then I'll remove the pesky Avast with their removal tool to see if that makes a difference. Defender is what is advised to run on the preview as it's part of the OS. HO-HUM.

rdave13 19:37 06 Apr 15

OK. Back to 8.1 and have removed Avast (most of) and established Defender. It shows 10041 update as installed but downloads again.

hssutton 20:04 06 Apr 15

On the last two occasions the update stopped on 23% for me. I'm just in the process of wiping the 750Gb h/drive I was using ready to re-install W10. Maybe I'll now wait awhile. 10041 worked perfectly for me and so was quite looking forward to the move to 10049, now I'm not too sure. I think i will wait to hear how you get on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This poetic animation about monsters is illustrated in a Van Gogh painterly style

Apple predictions 2017