Windows 10 32 Bit to 64 Bit

Moorside 12:31 12 Apr 15

When I can change from Windows 7 to Windows 10 I would like to change from 32 Bit to 64 Bit to allow me to add more memory. Is there a program I can get which will copy all my programs and information and then allow me to put them back on the computer when I have installed the 64 Bit system?

robin_x 13:57 12 Apr 15

There isn't. I'm writing a fuller reply.

robin_x 14:12 12 Apr 15

Installed Programs cannot be transferred, you'll have to download or install from CD again.

See Ninite for popular apps.

=-=-=

You can backup other files and folders using Easeus Todo Backup Free

You might do that if you only have a USB Flash drive to backup to. eg 16GB or 32GB or more

It's easy to forget hidden files and folders. eg Browser profiles, local saved emails etc

If you have an external hard drive you can make a Partition Backup with Easeus instead.

Select all partitions and they will be compressed into one file on the external hard drive.

Nothing can be forgotten although obviously Windows 7 files and programs won't be restored later.

After installing W10, install Easeus again and Mount the Image file you created on the ext drive by double clicking the pbd file.

Copy and paste what you want back to C: or wherever.

=-=-=

If you don't have ext drive or large enough Flash, it is possible to make another partition on main drive for temporary backups.

Depends how much free space and data you have.

robin_x 14:14 12 Apr 15

Of course, you have checked that computer is 64 bit capable in Control Panel > System

Batch 16:47 12 Apr 15

If you have existing additional hardware (e.g. printer, scanner and even possibly some internal plugin boards) it will be using 32 bit drivers with your existing 32 bit OS. These drivers will not be compatible with a 64 bit OS. Unless you have (or can obtain) 64 bit drivers for such hardware you will need to buy new hardware for which 64 bit drivers are available.

Bottom line: You can run (most) 32 bit programs on a 64 bit OS, but the same does not apply for drivers.

john bunyan 17:59 12 Apr 15

It is probably worth checking if your PC is suitable. I have an oldish Evesham w7 64 bit pc that is not ok for w8.1 due to the processor (an AMD dual core). This is for W 8.1 but I assume the same applies to W 10 - not yet launched in final form.

Upgrade assistant

robin_x 00:00 13 Apr 15

Good point

I heard there were workarounds for some old systems but don't know details.

Just saying, don't give up immediately if it is listed as not possible.

BlackOwl 09:43 30 Jul 15

Old thread, I know, but thought I'd add in a bit here and see what the community thinks...

I spoke online to a Microsoft representative, and she stated that the upgrade from Win 7/8 (32bit) to Win10 (32bit) won't uninstall programs/change settings/etc., and (more importantly) nor will the upgrade from Win10 (32bit) to Win10 (64bit) if you choose to do so. I haven't made the upgrade yet and I'm not doing so until and unless I am 100% certain that the above will happen, or until I have enough money to buy the HDDs necessary to backup everything I need.

Has anyone tried Win10 x86 to x64? And did it work, or did it necessitate re-installation etc.?

robin_x 12:18 30 Jul 15

To get W10 Free, now or in the coming 12 months, you can only upgrade. eg Home to Home. 32 to 32.

Your machine(s) details are logged on MS servers as having done so and thereby qualifying you for that free edition W10 for the life of the machine.

32 or 64 is allowed and after the upgrade has completed, and you check that Activation was successful, you can make 32 or 64 clean installs whenever you want (or Repair Installs/In-place Upgrades)

=-=-=

32-32 upgrade will keep almost everything but some installed apps may be deemed unsuitable. Some settings may get changed too (eg System Restore gets switched off and has to be turned back on, app associations and other niggly points)

Try the Windows 10 Upgrade Advisor

A later 64 bit clean install would obviously require all your apps to be reinstalled and Windows settings configured.

=-=-=

A full System Image backup is recommended (it's good regular practice anyway)

Usually they are made to USB external hard drive but if you have the space they can be made to another partition on your main drive.

Depends what you have. This is my Disk Management Screen

I could save a System Image to my G: or F: partitions instead of my external drive.

Only System Reserved and C: are updated during a W10 upgrade/install

If you do need to get another external drive, 500GB can be had for £30, 1-2TB for £50-60

robin_x 12:20 30 Jul 15

Disk Managemeny screen click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now