Window won't initialise ?

Alan Ryan 16:46 15 Nov 04

Haven't used it for a while, but wanted to make use of my Britannica 2001 this afternoon. All I could get was a screen message saying "Main window could not be initialised" - no other information given. So I've uninstalled the whole thing several times and reinstalled using the original CD-ROM but still can't get any further. Any advice on what I should do next please - apart from throw the it in the bin ?

Gongoozler 16:49 15 Nov 04

Look here :-

click here

Alan Ryan 17:00 15 Nov 04

Just been to the link you gave - Thanks a lot I should be able to put things right now. I was almost on the point of chicking the software away.

Alan Ryan 17:24 15 Nov 04

Hit one snag on correcting this "window won't intialise" problem: I'm advised to reduce the video card acceleration by clicking System, click Performance tab, click Graphics button, and move slider one notch to the left etc. Can't find these settings on XP Home - am I looking in the right place: Thanks again.

Gongoozler 08:17 16 Nov 04

Hi Alan. This is how I get to Harware Acceleration in my system. Right click on the desktop and select "Properties". Click on the "Settings" tab. Click on the "Advanced" button. Click on the "Troubleshoot" tab.

Alan Ryan 08:25 16 Nov 04

Thanks again - I've found the Video Accelerator where you said it would be. The slider is over to the right as far as it will go - which XP says is the "recommended" setting. How far to the left should I move it without risking some other foul-up ? Any idea please ?

Gongoozler 08:58 16 Nov 04

Moving the slider to the left won't cause disaster, just degraded performance. Nudge it across a little at a time and see what happens.

Alan Ryan 09:17 16 Nov 04

Will do as you suggest: it probably means having uninstall/reinstall the software to see what effect adjustments to the video accelerator make.

Completealias 13:08 16 Nov 04

You could try using compatabilty mode for this software. Its found under start, programs accessories I think if not there then its start, programs, accessories, system tools. You can set it up so it makes xp act like say 98 and have different screen resolution settings for only that prog mike be worth a try.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…