Window playing up - have searched

trialsriding 22:56 13 May 06

Hi all, having a problem with my pc. Out of the blue my windows is starting to boot then coming up with the options to start in safe mode last know working settings etc. None of these will work an error comes up and all i can make of it before it restarts is something about hardware or software incorrect then registry\systemroot\system32\config\software. I've looked through and seen about restarting with the windows cd but i think that is for slightly different problems? Thanks

trialsriding 23:00 13 May 06

Forgot to add it's windows xp cheers

rdave13 23:18 13 May 06

Try system restore.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 00:18 14 May 06

Windows could not start because the following files is missing or corrupt

1. Insert and boot from your Windows XP CD.
2. At the first R=Repair option, press the R key
3. Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the installation of Windows you want to repair.
Typically this will be #1
4. Enter in the administrator password when requested (if no password then just press enter)
5. cd \windows\system32\config
6. Depending on which section was corrupted:
ren software software.bad or ren system system.bad
7. Depending on which section was corrupted
copy \windows\repair\system
copy \windows\repair\software
8. Take out the CD ROM and type exit

trialsriding 15:50 14 May 06

Hi, how do i boot from the cd? I've put it in the drive and restarted my computer but it doesn't boot from my cd. Thanks

trialsriding 23:24 14 May 06

Ignore my last post sorted it out. When i try to repair from the cd it says that my hardrive cannot be found. I've checked the connections and cleaned them they seem to be ok? Thanks

terryf 00:38 15 May 06

For the future, to boot from the cd, go into your bios by pressing del or whatever it says on the initial text screen at the bottom, change the boot-up order to CD, Hard drive and then save & exit according to the on-screen instructions. The pc will then look for a CD to boot from and if non present will boot from C:

trialsriding 08:58 15 May 06

Thankyou for that terryf, the problem now is when i try to repair by booting from cd, it says that it cannot find my hardrive? I've opened the tower and checked the plugs from the hard drive to mother board they seem ok. What else could be wrong? Thanks

trialsriding 21:17 15 May 06

woodchip 21:23 15 May 06

Check the Drive data cable with a new one

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…