Window has encounted a problem....

geedad 11:21 09 Aug 06

I am getting this error message on some of my apps.
" Windows has encounted a problem and needs to shut down" - when I click on the "click here" to find out what the problem is, I then suddenly need to be a professor of gobblededook, since it makes no sense to me!
I use Windows XP Home, 3GH Intel P4 with HT. ATI Radeon 9200 Card, and 160 GB drive.
The last application I was tryng to use was Epson scanner, but it has happened with MS Word etc. Very annoying - can anyone help, please?
geedad

€dstowe 11:42 09 Aug 06

Is it Windows that needs to shut down or the application you are using at the time?

jimv7 11:52 09 Aug 06

right click My computer/properties/Advanced/Start up and Recovery/Settings untick the box fot Automatically Restart, and see if the erroe still occurs.

jimv7 11:53 09 Aug 06

Doh!! spelling needs a lot to be desired this am.

VoG II 12:46 09 Aug 06

Try the System File Checker. Start, Run, type

sfc /scannow

and click OK.

click here

geedad 17:05 09 Aug 06

€dstowe
jimv7
VoG™
Thank you all. Will try the Mark Liron solution from his paper. Looks complicated.
geedad

geedad 21:15 09 Aug 06

€dstowe
jimv7
VoG™
I have tried Scannow SFC and , although it went through without a hitch, nothing happened. When I tried a previously attempted load of an app, it once more came up with the same error message.
Epson Smart Panel has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on will be lost. For more information about the error, 'click_here'.
On clicking 'click here',I get.
Error signature.
AppName.smapanel.exe
AppVer 3.0.0.1 MedName ism.dll
ModVer 1.0.0.1 Offset 000036f3
To view technical information about this error report 'click here' - but doing so there follows masses and masses of techie information that I find impossible to comprehend.
The last dialogue box shows 'C:\DOCUME~1\John\LOCALS~1\Temp\46f-appcompat.txt

Obviously, this programme is causing a problem by not loading, so I leave the Forum topic open for discussion.
geedad

geedad 12:37 10 Aug 06

€dstowe
jimv7
VoG™
I uninstalled the programme that was not loading. The result?
Works fine!!
If I have any more loading problems this will be my first course of action.
Regarding spelling mistakes - look at my initial title!! encounted ? I meant encountered - but you knew didn't you!
Can anyone answer this:
I have recently downloaded Ntlworld.com Security software which includes Firewall, Anti-Virus,Parental control and Spyware.
Would it be wise to uninstall Zone Alarm and my other Spyware stuff?
geedad

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…