window appears at startup

tomevans00 14:23 15 Sep 06

whenever i start up windows, i get a blank screen and window pops up with a ok button. sometimes window gives a directory and filename (that changes each time it appears,) somes nothing appears, and often just unicode lettering.

when i click ok, windows is fine and everything is as ususal. it appears to be having no affect at all so i thought it might just disappear but no...it's still there everytime.

any ideas what it could be and how to get rid of it?

i'm running XP SP2

Diemmess 14:31 15 Sep 06

Is all your AV and anti malware up to date and running?

ArrGee 14:32 15 Sep 06

Have you taken the usual first route of virus/spyware checks?

ArrGee 14:33 15 Sep 06

As case of 'great minds think alike' or 'fools seldom differ'!!!

tomevans00 14:40 15 Sep 06

i use avg, which was updated today. av scan was done this morning and found nothing. s

pybot found a few entries but nothing that has stopped the problem and i'm currently waiting on ad-aware to finish, both of which i updated before running the scans.

Graham. 14:43 15 Sep 06

Can you do a screenshot for us?

mattyc_92 14:46 15 Sep 06

As Graham. has requested (also known as a "screendump") will help us to work out the problem

tomevans00 15:26 15 Sep 06

well i restarted and when it appeared i pushed "print screen" but when i opened photoshop, there was no paste option. same in mspaint. i tried to photo it with my digital camera but really wasn't useful.

this time at start up it said, and i quote "??M"

the ? represent the square unicode symbols.

Gongoozler 16:27 15 Sep 06

This sort of behaviour often happens as a result of an incomplete installation.

Click Start - Run. Type in msconfig, then click OK. Click on the "Startup" tab. See if there's anything in the list that looks unfamiliar. You can try unticking any suspects, or post a list here and we can look for anything that looks suspicious.

tomevans00 16:32 15 Sep 06

ok heres what i have running at startup

jusched
avg
atiptaxx
cli
cthelper
rundll32
cfd
zlclient
ituneshelper
tescoip
msnmsgr
ctfmon
ati catalyst system tray

Gongoozler 00:15 16 Sep 06

They all look fine. I'll see if I can come up with any other ideas in the morning.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…