Window 98 SE Updates

shazza65 20:32 16 Aug 03

I understand from a computer magazine that Microsoft are no longer supporting Windows 98 SE, however I find this strange as Microsoft's update website still wants to update my software.

I am in a situation at the moment whereby I need to reformat my hard disc and reinstall all my software. Does anyone know how I can save all the updates I currently have on my system so they can be reinstalled once my hard disc is reformatted?

Another question I have is, the way Microsoft is going, it seems to be wating people to install Windows XP, is this operating system really any better that 98 SE??

rambus 20:37 16 Aug 03

its my understanding that you will still be able to get all the currantly released updates when you have reformated ect.
but there will be no new released updates as of now.

leo49 20:50 16 Aug 03

1. Download all the updates from the Windows update catalog and burn them to disc.

2. Yes

Regards

woodchip 20:58 16 Aug 03

Most of the updates are for IE not windows it's self there are some but most for IE

woodchip 21:00 16 Aug 03

You could use Netscape or Opera or Mozzila Browser then the security patches are not relevant

shazza65 21:28 16 Aug 03

LEO49

Please explain how I get all the updates burned onto CD? Where is the Windows update catalogue? is it on the microsoft site or my machine? Please explain in simple english because I get a bit lost with all the abreviated jargon that goes on. Ta

Qmar 21:43 16 Aug 03

read this thread click here

Stuartli 22:23 16 Aug 03

I'm still getting the odd new Windows 98SE update from the website.....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…