Window 98 password in dialup box problem

ray27 14:42 03 Sep 04

A friend of mine, a lady of 70 + has been give an old laptop with windows 98 as the op system.

She only uses it via e-mail to keep in touch with her grandchildren, who are all over the place.

The problem is that she can dial out ok and gain access to her ISP but the dialup connection box will not let her save her password.

The box where you put the tick to save your password is greyed out.

She also uses Yahoo email and when she puts her pass word and user id in the Yahoo box and ticks the box to save these, next time she uses it she has to enter them all over again.
I am sure these to problems are related as she was able to save both these pass words until recently.
What happened was she tried to use the internet but could not connect , it said it couldn’t detect dial tone , so she pulled the lead out of the laptop and the Goldcard Modem came out with it and she panicked and tried to stuff it back quickly with the result that she jammed it in the slot .

She took it to PC World to see if they would repair it they played around with it for a while and of course they told her it was beyond repair and tried to sell her another one

She didn’t fall for this and asked me to have a look and it was simple matter of extracting the Gold card Modem and fixing the original problem which was the modem cable plug had been pulled by her dog and bent the contacts when they came out.

It’s all back and working apart from the unable to save pass words has anyone any ideas how to get this function to work ?
Many thanks for any advice
Ray

pimpers 17:56 03 Sep 04

Try this link, it might work for you.

click here

Good luck.

Pimpers.

ray27 18:41 10 Sep 04

Many thanks it sees to have worked as she hasnt got back to me
Cheers ray

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now